By Mark Vessey
- Discusses the existence and works of Augustine inside their complete old context, instead of privileging the theological context
- Presents Augustine’s existence, works and major principles within the cultural context of the overdue Roman global, supplying a colourful and interesting feel of Augustine in motion in his personal time and position
- Opens up a brand new part of analysis on Augustine, delicate to the numerous and sundry views of scholarship on past due Roman tradition
- State-of-the-art essays through prime lecturers during this field
Read or Download A Companion to Augustine PDF
Best church history books
The 3rd quantity in Hughes Oliphant Old's multivolume historical past of the studying and preaching of Scripture specializes in the Middles a while. Surveying the advance of preaching over the span of one thousand years, outdated explores the preachers of sixth-century Byzantium, the church's undertaking to the barbarians, the preaching of the gospel in the course of Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire, the period of the nice monastic orders, and the prophetic preachers of Renaissance Italy.
Within the spring of 1935 Dietrich Bonhoeffer back from England to direct a small unlawful seminary for the Confessing Church. The seminary existed for 2 years sooner than the Gestapo ordered it closed in August 1937. the 2 years of Finkenwalde's life produced a few of Bonhoeffer's most important theological paintings as he ready those younger seminarians for the turbulence and danger of parish ministry within the Confessing Church.
The tale of Lutherans in the United States is one in every of mutual impression. From the 1st small teams of Lutherans to reach within the colonies, to the big immigrations to the wealthy heartland of a turning out to be state, Lutherans have encouraged, and been inspired through, the US. during this full of life and interesting new background, Granquist brings to gentle not just the numerous and interesting associations that Lutherans based and sustained however the people who lived inside of them.
The authors of this quantity elucidate the impressive function performed by means of faith within the shaping and reshaping of narrative kinds in antiquity and past due antiquity in quite a few methods. this can be relatively obtrusive in historic Jewish and Christian narrative, that's within the concentration of many of the contributions, but in addition in a few 'pagan' novels resembling that of Heliodorus, that is handled in addition within the 3rd a part of the amount, either in an illuminating comparability with Christian novels and in an inspiring rethinking of Heliodorus's relation to Neoplatonism.
- Jerusalem and Parousia
- The Ancient Martyrdom Accounts of Peter and Paul (Writings from the Greco-Roman World Book 39)
- Religious Interactions in Europe and the Mediterranean World: Coexistence and Dialogue from the 12th to the 20th Centuries
- The Power of Religion in Late Antiquity
- Die Entstehung des negativen Melanchthonbildes: Protestantische Melanchthonkritik bis 1560 (Beiträge zur historischen Theologie) (German Edition)
- Kreuzestheologie: Geschichte und Gehalt eines Programmbegriffs in der evangelischen Theologie (Beiträge zur historischen Theologie) (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Augustine
A Companion to Augustine by Mark Vessey