By Geoffrey Sumi
Read Online or Download Ceremony and Power: Performing Politics in Rome between Republic and Empire PDF
Best ancient history books
Matrona Docta provides a special learn of the schooling of upper-class ladies in Roman society within the vital interval of Roman background, from the second one century BC to advert 235. Emily A. Hemelrijk reconstructs women's possibilities to obtain an schooling, the impediments they confronted, the extent of schooling they can succeed in and the judgement on informed ladies in Roman society.
This ebook, first released in 1992, offers an advent to the character of exchange and delivery in antiquity via a variety of translated literary, papyrological, epigraphical and criminal assets. those texts illustrate a number points of old exchange and delivery: from the function of the gurus, to the prestige of investors, to the capability and velocity of historical ships.
Oratory and Political profession within the overdue Roman Republic is a pioneering research into political lifestyles within the past due Roman Republic. It explores the character and quantity to which Roman politicians embraced oratorical performances as a part of their political occupation and the way such performances prompted the careers of person orators akin to Gaius Gracchus, Pompeius Magnus, and Julius Caesar.
In recent times, the talk on Romanisation has frequently been framed by way of id. Discussions have focused on how the growth of empire impacted at the developed or self-ascribed feel of belonging of its population, and simply how the interplay among neighborhood identities and Roman ideology and practices can have led to a multicultural empire has been a imperative learn concentration.
- Interpretations of Greek Mythology (Routledge Revivals)
- Ancient Antioch: From the Seleucid Era to the Islamic Conquest
- Healing Magic and Evil Demons: Canonical Udug-hul Incantations: Volume 8 8 (Die Babylonisch-Assyrische Medizin in Texten Und Untersuchungen)
- Egypt, Greece, and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean
- Representing Agrippina: Constructions of Female Power in the Early Roman Empire (American Philological Association American Classical Studies)
- Work in Progress: Literary Revision as Social Performance in Ancient Rome (American Philological Association American Classical Studies)
Extra info for Ceremony and Power: Performing Politics in Rome between Republic and Empire
Ceremony and Power: Performing Politics in Rome between Republic and Empire by Geoffrey Sumi